Historic woods from the Thomas Edison Factory
In 1917, Thomas Alva Edison purchased the Wisconsin Cabinet and Panel Company to produce cabinets for his 1877 invention, the phonograph. The factory was changed to Edison Wood Products. The company continued to make phonograph cabinets until 1927. During the depression, the consumer demand for phonographs slowed because they were considered a luxury item. The company began producing infant furniture under the name of Edison Little Folks. This furniture line survived until 2005 as part of the Simmons Juvenile products Co. at the same location, 613 East Beacon Avenue, New London, Wisconsin.
The historic location has yielded extraordinary maple flooring, hemlock timers and bricks.
Edison holds 1,093 patents for his inventions, including the little known 1915 version of Guitar Hero.